On an average, a normal human being spends a third of his life in his bedroom. Hence, bedroom layout, shape of the bedroom, and position of your bed play an important role in ensuring good quality sleep. When the layout of the bedroom is in tandem with Classical Feng Shui principles, we say that the bedroom is Feng Shui Bedroom. A Feng Shui bedroom consists of elements that enhance the quality of Qi. Qi interactions in the bedroom are favorable and auspicious. This leads to good sound sleep, better health and productivity at work. So here I have laid down general do’s and don’ts for your bedroom.
However, before going further, I strongly recommend you to read my previous blogs. This will help you in getting a deeper insight on the subject. It will help you understand the external environment and how it affects our well-being. After all, Classical Feng Shui is an art and science of living in complete harmony with the external environment.
Feng Shui Bedroom – Layouts to Avoid:
- The door of your bedroom and your bed should not be in alignment. In other words, the foot of your bed should not face the bedroom door. This causes restless and disturbed sleep.
Similarly, your bed should not be placed on the wall of your bedroom entrance.
- The bed should not be placed directly under a window. This too leads to restless and disturbed sleep.
- One of the most common mistakes people do while designing their bedrooms is that they place their bed between the door and the window. This creates a wind tunnel. A wind tunnel is a Shar and must be avoided as it causes disturbance. Your bed should not be positioned between a door and a window.
- Avoid placing your bed at an angle. It is very important to position your bed against a solid wall. This acts as the Black Turtle and makes one feel secure. Hence, it is best to avoid positioning your bed at an angle.
- In addition to these, it is best to avoid sleeping under beams. False ceilings and beams surely make the bedroom look more elegant. But these beams cause a ripple effect with the Qi. This affects sleep and health adversely.
Feng Shui Bedroom – Favorable Layouts:
The ideal position for your bed is against a solid unobstructed wall that is diagonally opposite the bedroom entrance. It should be far enough from the window. This will ensure that you are not hit by the direct flow of Qi. Your bed should be accessible from both sides. Diagrammatically, the most favorable bedroom layouts are –
These are the basic thumb rules used while designing a Feng Shui Bedroom. It must be noted that this is not all. Several other factors like your Gua number, favorable directions, sector of your bedroom, etc. need to be considered before arriving at the best bedroom layout for you. Hence, it is advisable to consult a Feng Shui practitioner before moving your furniture.